This kale salad recipe is one that I get asked for every time I serve it to company. It’s easy to make and delicious – there’s no excuse to buy those pre-bagged store versions. Since kale is such a ‘sturdy’ green, dinner leftovers make a great lunch the next day.
First, wash and dry your kale. Strip the leaves from the stems and tear into chunks. Put in a bowl, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and give the kale a massage. Rub the leaves all over – this softens it, makes it shine and tenderizes.
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar (champagne vinegar works too)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of minced shallot – today I used chives as that’s what I had on hand (you can skip if you want)
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of honey (or agave)
- sea salt – to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
Top your kale with your own combination of:
- Tomatoes – cherry or grape – half or quarter depending on size
- Nuts – pine nuts or almond slivers
- Dried fruit – dried cherries or cranberries
(You can also add some shaved parmesan reggiano).
Now drizzle with your dressing, toss and enjoy! This salad can also be refrigerated for up to an hour before serving.