This is a great filling to make for a sandwich or wrap. It is an economical & easy way to add fish to your diet. Using just one can of salmon (or leftover cooked salmon) makes 4 sandwiches. Add some chips (sour cream and onion or dill) and stuff them in your sandwich for extra crunch.
Mix together in a large bowl:
- One can of drained salmon (mash it up with a fork and feed the ‘juice’ to your dog or cats)
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- Fresh dill or 1/2 tsp good quality dried
- Salt and pepper
- Light mayo/vegenaise about 1/4 to 1/2 cup to make it creamy
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 TB maple syrup (my secret ingredient revealed!)
Mix well, and adjust to taste. This can be stored in the fridge until ready to use.
I used country grain bread from Cobs, and added fresh spinach. Tomato and cucumber also rounds out the sandwich well.
This can be made into a dip by substituting some of the mayo with cream cheese and sour cream. Or put it on a salad, with hard boiled eggs, and enjoy!